11-Year-Old Boy Dies ‘Immediately’ After Doing New Chroming Trend

Tributes are pouring in for an 11-year-old boy who tragically passed away after taking part in the dangerous new ‘chroming’ trend. 

Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington’s heartbroken family are urging parents to educate their children about the devastating consequences of the social media craze following their loss.

The schoolboy’s grief-stricken grandmother, Tina Burns, claims that he died ‘instantly’ after trying the concerning trend.

“Tommie-Lee went into cardiac arrest immediately and died right there and then. The hospital did everything to try and bring him back but nothing worked. He was gone,” she said.

“He had a heart of gold, just like his dad. Our family is utterly devastated.”

Paying tribute to her grandson, Burns told the Lancashire Post that the 11-year-old had a ‘heart of gold’.

“We don’t want any other children to follow TikTok or be on social media,” she told the outlet.

“In fact, we want to get TikTok taken down and no children to be allowed on any social media under 16 years of age.”

While Tommie-Lee’s heartbroken mother has taken to Facebook and urged parents to reconsider their children’s social media usage to protect them from dangerous trends.

“As much as I hate talking about it, I need to raise awareness of what kids are trying nowadays. This cost my son his life from trying something other kids are doing,” she wrote.

“Please talk to your children about the consequences of this. It is beyond me why anyone would even try this! It’s so dangerous!”

Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington
Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington tragically died after taking part in the dangerous social media trend, chroming. Credit: Facebook

Burns explained that Tommie Lee’s family wants to ‘help save other children’s lives’, adding that parents have already been ‘thanking her’ for raising awareness about social media trends.

The tragedy took place on March 2, when the young boy was found unresponsive at a friend’s house in Lancaster.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson states: “We were called by the ambulance service at 12:04pm on Saturday, March 2 to an address on Greenset Close, Lancaster, to a report of a sudden death.

“Emergency services attended an address and found an 11-year-old boy unresponsive. Sadly he was later pronounced dead. The death is currently being treated as unexplained and the coroner has been informed.

“A police investigation is ongoing and the boy’s family are being supported by officers. Our thoughts are with the boy’s loved ones at this incredibly sad time. If anyone has any information they are asked to contact police.”

It is suspected the 11-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest, with paramedics sadly being unable to save him.

The schoolboy’s family suspects that Tommie-Lee participated in a social media challenge at the sleepover called ‘chroming’.

‘Chroming’, which is also known as ‘huffing’, is the act of inhaling fumes of household chemicals such as nail polish remover, hairspray, aerosol deodorant or permanent markets.

At Prestons Coroner Court, area coroner Kate Bissett said that Tommie-Lee’s friend told his mother that the schoolboy became unconscious after ‘inhaling toxic substances’.

Police have added that while the schoolboy inhaling substances is one line of inquiry, while the coroner has confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances.

Officials are currently treating Tommie-Lee’s death as ‘unexplained’.