Teenager Dies After Dropping Her Phone In Bathtub While On A Call With Her Friend

A 16-year-old girl tragically died after dropping her phone in the bathtub while on a call with a friend.

Maria Antonietta Cutillo, from Avellino, Italy, was reportedly charging her phone while holding onto it in the bath of her parents’ home.

It is believed the device must have slipped from the teenager’s hand, triggering a short circuit after falling into the water.

Teenager Dies After Dropping Her Phone In Bathtub While On A Call With Her Friend

Local media reports that Cutillo’s family were not in the house at the time of the tragedy.

The teenager’s friend reportedly called emergency services to the home after becoming concerned when their call cut out.

Cutillo’s body was taken to the morgue of the Moscati Hospital in Avellino for an autopsy. Local police also investigated the incident.

Sources say the girl’s father is well-known in the regional capital of Irpinia, he’s the owner of a local butcher’s shop, reports MailOnline.

The friend Cutillo was talking to at the time of the tragedy has paid a touching tribute on TikTok.

She says (via Daily Express): “You flew to heaven my love, you left screaming my name during a video call. I will never ever forget that moment.

“The last call, the last laugh together, the last nonsense together was today my baby and while you were talking to me this happened.

“I have your voice echoing in my head as you screamed my name, I have the scene in front of my eyes, I have your big green eyes in front of me, I have your laugh in mind.

“You were a spectacular friend, now the school desk next to me will be empty and whoever gets in will never, ever be you.

“I miss you my heart, I have your image fixed in front of my eyes.”

Although electrocution by phone is rare, it still happens – there have been other instances where people have lost their lives following their device short-circuiting.

The Mirror reports that 27-year-old Wanchai Deengam, from Thailand, lost his life in 2023 when he fell asleep with his phone charging.

According to the outlet, a smartwatch was plugged into the extension plug while two rice cookers and two fans were attached to the wall socket.

Following the tragedy, Police Captain Jiratchaya Yordkum from the Rat Burana Metropolitan Police Station said it was believed a ‘short circuit might have caused his electrocution’.

It was disclosed that the 27-year-old had plugged his device into the socket without using the proper adaptor.

Daily Mail also reports that a schoolgirl from France died in her bath in 2020 after a charging phone fell onto her chest and slipped into the water.